One of the biggest money savers we’ve come across is homemade treats. Pre-packaged sweets that are safe are usually stupidly expensive, and J and I like to cook anyway, so why not right? Today, I’m sharing one of our absolute favorites.
Yes, that is the name of the recipe. No, I’m not being conceited. These cookies rival Mrs. Fields in soft-ness without that horrid preservative aftertaste. Plus (as always) these are PEANUT FREE.
The picture is Hershey’s, the recipe is mine 🙂
3/4 cup butter, softened (NOT melted)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Hershey’s baking melts (In addition, I usually throw in a handful of regular chocolate chips too. Just for fun).
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars together until fluffy and light in color
3. Add vanilla and egg. Mix.
4. In a separate bowl, stir flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt together.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix together completely.
6. Stir in chocolate melts.
7. Use a tablespoon and drop onto greased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes until barely golden around edges.
(NOTE: the tops will NOT brown. Do not cook longer than 10 minutes unless you are making large cookies).
8. Let cool 5 minutes before moving to cooling rack.
I made these for a family reunion two weeks ago and people were finding me in the crowd to compliment me on how good these are! We never ever have a batch last longer than 3 days, but if you do, refrigerate or freeze the leftovers.